Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Jan Jan!

Forgive me mother, for I am lame.

Mom in the Philippines circa 1978.


Over 10 years ago my mother passed away after a 50 year long relationship with cancer.  January 15, 1999 to be precise.  It was her dying wish that her memoir/resource book be published.  Her book was titled A Beautiful Burden: Surviving Cancer Across a Lifetime.  She cared deeply about health and wellness of cancer survivors, as well as advocacy for those with facial differences.
Since her passing, let me be honest, I've done nothing about her book.  Sure, I sent it on to her friends who offered to edit.  I made some copies and converted files from time to time.  But really I've done nothing legitimate to get her book published.  Her book has taken on a meaning of burden all its own for me.  One she likely never intended.
Two of Janet's grandchildren Ellie and Trever with the manuscript
binder and a strawberry basket she used for inspiration while writing.

Today is her birthday, which has me thinking...you know, she never knew what the future would be like for any of us.  If she was around today, I imagine her book would be available in print.  She'd have a Facebook account to keep track of the grand kids and Tweeting with her Denver University friends.  She fancied herself a networker long before the term "Social Network" became what it is today.  Blogging would have come naturally to her.


So in honor of Janet Trever on her 67th birthday, I'd like to officially declare this blog open and welcome to receive any of her old friends, family, and bring her delightful insights, story, and resources for coping with cancer and a facially different lifestyle to a new generation.

So...TO THE BOOK!!!

I leave you with the Dedication she wrote herself:

To Virginia Satir, Lucy Meryl Tullis, and Joyce Fossen.  All three were wonderful teachers and mentors for me and have passed on from this plane of existence.  Also to Yul Brynner; I never met him before his death in 1985, but he has certainly influenced my life experience.  I like to talk to the four of them during the day as their presences watch over me.  Someday I envision they will be welcoming me to the other side...now that will really be something to write about.


Me on the left with my mom at Sun Moon Lake, Taiwan.

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU, Sarah, for doing this. I woke up this morning with every intention to write you so that I might connect with Jan on an earthly plane on her 67th birthday. She is and always will be the greatest impact in my lifetime. I would not be here today without her. I believe in the things I do because of Janet Trever. I serve my community selflessly because I learned selfless service from Janet Trever. I am the husband and father I am because I learned the meaning of integrity long ago from Janet Trever. Today I am a successful artist and a healthy man--thanks to Janet Trever for believing in me and for kindling my inner fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I add my enthusiastic voice to this blog, saluting Janet on what would have been her 67th earthly birthday. She was an inspiring friend and a beautiful human being. Our relationship enriched my life in more ways than I can enumerate. One huge way is the presence of her daughter Sarah in my life as a "surrogate daughter" after Janet's passing. Thank you, Janet, for all your gifts!
    Now I would like to share a poem I wrote years ago (part of the original book) that Janet enjoyed so much, entitled "To My Children":
    TO MY CHILDREN

    Celebrate weirdness!
    Wine it and dine it. Design it
    to fit the occasion. Rise to it.
    Deny those who try to decry it
    with scornful remarks
    and limited vision.

    Elevate eccentricity!
    Beware the constricting, confining,
    conventional congress of head shakers,
    heart breakers, nay sayers, soul slayers.
    Dare to be different. Delight in it.
    Heighten it. Make it your home.

    Applaud anomalies!
    Anchor your ship in the singular sea
    of uncertainty. Savor the strangeness.
    Arrange bliss in whimsical patterns--
    Irregular, quirky, quite murky to those
    who are closed to outlandish enchantments.

    Cultivate non-conformity!
    Be weirdly-wise with each enterprise.
    Shrink from stale definitions and pale reflections
    and pallid convictions. Relish exotic delicacies
    of expanded views. Tempt your palate
    with spicy spaciousness.

    Celebrate weirdness!
    Walk the wide path of surprises. Hope rises
    above the horizon of those who despise it;
    who narrowly cut down to size
    every dream-seeking, scheme-speaking
    lover of mystery.

    --Laura Bernstein

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.