Friday, March 18, 2011

Strawberry Story: Do not stand at my grave and weep


Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there I do not sleep
Do not stand at my grave and mourn
I am not there I have been born

I am the four strong winds that blow
I am the diamond glint on snow

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there I do not sleep
Do not stand at my grave and mourn
I am not there I have been born

I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain

When you wake in the morning hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight
I am the soft starlight at night

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there I do not sleep
Do not stand at my grave and mourn
I am not there I have been born

I LOVE this poem.  I first learned it as a song in Silver and Burgundy Singers at Blevins Junior High.  I heard it again at Virginia Satir's memorial in Crested Butte in 1988 (photo above is from her balloon releasing in 1987 one year earlier from http://satirtraining.org/training/general_information).  And of course I think of it every time I see a diamond glint on snow or need my own morning uplifting rush.

Authorship of the poem is an interesting divergent story.  Read website of authorship debated for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.