Sunday, April 10, 2011

Look Up, Look Way Up


Photo by Arthur Nelson Trever, 1933 Chicago World's Fair.
A Divorce Followed by Breast Cancer
by
Lois Trever

Janet and her husband decided to divorce after their two years in the Philippines; it was a very painful decision.  A short time after Janet and the children returned, she called to say there was some suspicion of breast cancer.  Not long after that, she asked me to come take care of the children during her hospitalization.

There were lists on the side of the refrigerator telling me how to cope.  As always, Janet had built a large army of true friends who were ready to help.  When Janet came home, folks brought food--one big man had, himself, baked two pies.  The refrigerator and cupboards were well stocked.

It was a very pretty house, rented from a minister.  There were swings in the backward, roller skates, swimming lessons on the calendar.  Both children, especially Sarah, were eager to show me a beautiful cemetery just back of the back yard.  We three walked there several times every day.  Sarah, will of the wisp as she was, would dance and skip ahead around a corner and disappear only to be found in a little while, full length on her back on a tombstone, long blond hair draped over the stone.  Andy was more likely to be riding his two wheeler bike off on an intersecting lane.  I don't know if I am imparting the sweet but eerie circumstances as they affected me.

The time for Janet's breast surgery arrived quickly.  The children went off for a day at a friends house.  I drove to the hospital.  When Janet came back from surgery there came her wonderful friends to be sure she could faintly hear spiritual music.  They came in many numbers, each with something comforting to bring and to do.  I found myself at the door of the room and decided to go out and walk a bit in the fresh air.  As I walked tears broke through, quickly becoming an uncontrollable torrent.  I climbed into the car but then came more tears of helplessness and sorrow.  I remembered I was near the office of Janet's favorite friends Meryl Tullis, a motherly figure in Janet's life. 

Meryl came to the door, invited me in and brought coll water and soda crackers.  I felt her concern and understanding.  As the weakening sobs continued she said, "Lois, look up, look way up."  I did so and realized that my uncontrollable tears had stopped.  There is a magic made up of actual knowledge of anatomy that stops the tears and sadness when we look up, "way up," as Meryl said.  I have often used Meryl's magic to help me.

Before I returned home Janet and I had a few happy times together, including times all four of us walked or rode bicycles in the quiet cemetery, visited by no one but us.

Sarah, Janet, Andy during that terrible/wonderful year.
Odd, my own Good Year shot last month over Daytona.  Guess its in my blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.