Saturday, September 11, 2010

Damn You Jewel, You Made Me Cry!

Watching the Emmy's last week I had quite a surprise. I'm not a big Jewel fan, but when she sang the In Memoriam song "The Shape of You" I had that moment when your heart and mind open up to a parallel universe. A direct line to my mourning, my loss, my sadness, and my joy at having had mom in my life.

I wanted to yell, "Damned You Jewel! You Made Me Cry!" But in truth, I'm grateful to her because these moments ten years later are fewer and far between.





Lyrics and Official Jewel Website

Jewel prefaces her performance by saying the song is in honor of a friend who passed away from cancer.

It got me thinking of the other songs that transform me.  Not just the ones mom and I shared, but the ones she never got to hear that I know she would have loved.  Those songs give me something so special, a new dynamic memory of her that proves she lives on through me.  So I take back my "Damn" and replace it with a "Thank."  Words I never thought I'd say...Thank You Jewel.

And back to Chapter 1...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.