Saturday, September 25, 2010

Chapter 1: Extraordinary Teachers

Like the True Grit entry, this section was seredipitous for me in my own life this week as I met with my daughter's teacher (Ellie is six and in first grade like mom is during this chapter).  Mom's introduction to her first grade teacher is in bold, then Juanita's section follows.

Ellie's art, now age six.

Juanita Conrad was the tutor selected by the school system to come to our house each day and teach me First Grade.  We had wonderful times learning together, and she represented to me the quiet, still, knowing a person can achieve.  I don’t think anything could have upset her.  Her calm manner made learning easy.

One of my early childhood friends recently told me how jealous she was of my tutor and the little classroom that was set up in the den.  It had a desk, a chalk board, pens, pencils, and books right there.  It was amazing tome that this looked so enticing to someone in the regular public school system.

Our Story by Juanita Conrad

In the early 1940s we moved to Arlington Heights from downstate Illinois, when my husband accepted a teaching and coaching position at Arlington High School.  Soon we were members of the Methodist Meeting House on North Dunton Street.
One Sunday in 1946, we met a new family at church who wanted to join: Art, Lois & Janet Trever.  Janet was a bright-eyed preschooler who was eager to be enrolled in our Sunday School.  It seems that Lois, her mother, had enrolled Janet at the Presbyterian Church the week before (it was just one block down the street) before she discovered that she was in the wrong church.  Everyone had a good laugh over that one.   In a short time Lois was invited to become a teacher in the Primary Department and Art soon became active in the church as well.  He was to eventually become Chairman of the Building Committee when we built a new church one mile on the side of town.  That was quite a project.

When the time came for Janet to begin first grade she had difficulty with an eye problem and could not attend the public school.  Since I had been substitute teaching for District #25, Ralph Calbaugh, the Superintendent, asked whether I would “home teach” Janet and another little girl separately.  The district furnished the books and teaching supplies.  We followed the school curriculum, test, etc.  I first went to Janet’s home.  Trevers turned one room of their home into a classroom with a bulletin board, blackboard, etc  It was such fun teaching and we learned to know each other well.  She learned to read, to “print” the alphabet, to do math and other things that first graders do.  I think Janet’s mother was sometimes around the corner “listening in.”  Janet reminded me of little sponges that were ready to soak up any information that was presented to them.

Since then it has been interesting for me to follow Janet’s life through grade school, high school, living overseas, having Andy (born on my birthday) then Sarah.  I have tried to keep track of their activities as they grew up and then in exciting professions.

Ellie's art, now age six.
We have been so impressed to see how bravely Janet is finding her way through her health problems.  She never gives up and many good things came from her determination.  What she has learned will help other with similar problems.  We take our hats off to you, Janet!


1 comment:

  1. Extraordinary teachers may find this on one of the great teachers interesting inspirational: http://www.geocities.ws/greatteachersari/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.