Friday, November 26, 2010

Strawberry Story: Standing in a Strawberry Patch


Standing in a Strawberry Patch
    by William Killian

We grew strawberries at home
and then I worked on a strawberry farm when I was an early teen.
At the end of a long day, Bob, the owner, called me in
it was a small town, everybody knew everybody
and he said, "Billy, we won't need you anymore." 
I had only picked a few quarts all day,
ate the rest and threw them at the other pickers. 
I was hurt and sad. 

The next morning, Bob showed up at my door on his tractor,
"Come on, Billy, I need you today.  Let's go to work." 
A moment I shall never forget. 
I picked more that day, ate less and threw none. 

I often think, Billy, who needs you today
If you're standing in a strawberry patch
Are you willing to pick strawberries and fill those beautiful boxes, those crates,
and work there with your friends and fill that entire wagon to be carried off to market?

What a sweet thrill, what a sweet memory, re-ripe with life, with youth, and opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.