Monday, February 7, 2011

Chapter 4: Ear...eye...nose...patch!

Proud parents with their "babies" in their laps.

In mom's own words:

Over the next few months I saw myself assuming my own mother's role of protector.  The military well-baby checks left much to be desired in those days as you sat with your child a minimum of an hour in a waiting room crowded with many other infant/mother combinations trying to cope as we were, and a few sick kids in the waiting room mixed in.  I flashed back to what it must have been like for my Mom through those gruesome medical days with me.  What strength it took to be the defender.

I began the usual little identification games with Andy as an infant and toddler.  Soon he could sit on my lap, say and point to my "ear...eye...nose...mouth...chin...patch!"  His childhood experience would clearly have some unusual dimensions to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.