Monday, December 20, 2010

Chapter 3: I'M A SWAN!

Mom begins chapter 3 saying she always listened carefully when anyone talked about swans.  She loved Hans Christian Anderson's story of the Ugly Duckling, but also references a fairytale of a different sort:

A Hindu story says that swans, as represented in the order of Saraswati, represents the priceless skill of discrimination and discernment.  Supposedly a swan is able to drink in fluid but spit out the water while swallowing the milk that was in the mixture.  It reminds me of Virginia Satir's advice to "taste everything, but swallow only that which fits you."

Mom goes off to college and begins to taste.  In short, mom starts her freshman year at MacMurray and her roommate is none other than Pat Graham, who the family fondly calls "Gongi."  Aunt Gongi was a "tough cookie" who helped mom survive her freshman year.  The two transfer to Denver University for their sophomore year.  Between being away from home, Gongi's influence, and an unlikely summer job, mom begins to transform out of her ugly duckling form (her repeated own phrasing) and into a swan.

I think her Saraswati reference is additionally fitting as my limited Googling rendered this mantra:

OM, Sarasvati, I am beginning my education.  Please bless and guide me on my path to wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.