Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Chapter 3 needs a theme song...

Hit play on the screen cap and let's review. 



In 1961 Janet graduates from Arlington Heights High School.  She wears a prosthetic eye and she experiences discrimination for her facial differences at school, and then work. 

In 1962 she transfers from MacMurray in Illinois to Denver University, and the summer between attends beauty school to brush up for her United Airlines job.  She makes a bold decision to abandon the eye and embrace her sewing skills by working up a patch proto-type to fit her face.

The transformation goes beyond her appearance.

Defying Gravity  lyrics by Stephen Schwartz

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game

Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't bring me down

I'm through accepting limits
Cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost
I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
I think I'll try defying gravity
And you can't pull me down

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.