Saturday, December 4, 2010

Chapter 2: The Dreaded Shower Scene

I recently read Stephen King's Carrie and the shower scene reminded me I left out an important part in my Sink or Swim post as to why mom hated P.E.  Yes, it had something of course to do with lacking depth perception.  But the greater part was her fear that her prosthesis would come unglued.  Troubles no teen should have.

My own version of the living hell was that in the showers the eye prosthesis often came loose from the steam and sometimes would plop into the puddles on the floor.  I would have to grope around in the wet, hoping no one in the line in front and behind me could see. 

I would jam it back on my face and hold it; it wasn't until later I could look in a mirror and sometimes find it was at a slant or upside down. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from any readers! Due to the sensitive nature of the blog the comments are moderated.